Last night when my 5-year-old daughter had her first earache I was reminded how to most effectively give Reiki to someone in pain. She was crying, moaning and in the worst pain I’d ever seen her in. Of course that’s hard to watch and not be attached to the healing results of Reiki.
I instantly gave her Reiki to her ear. The pain didn’t seem to be going away. The Reiki didn’t seem to be flowing strongly. So I got out my homeopathic remedies and gave a couple of rounds of those. Then I pulled out the Children’s Tylenol, for the first time ever for her.
After I had done everything else I could think of do at night I went back to Reiki. I called on my Reiki guides, healing guides and Archangel Raphael. Raphael always has good healing direction for me and I heard him whispering in my ear once I relaxed, as the Reiki was flowing stronger and stronger.
If You find yourself in a situation of giving Reiki when You’re in pain or someone else is in pain and the Reiki doesn’t seem to be flowing very much. There are things You can do to help the Reiki flow, even when there’s intense pain happening.
1. Get your ego out of the way! I always affirm before a healing session: “I am a clear and open Reiki channel and my ego has stepped aside”. This is a reminder to let Reiki do it’s work and I’m not the one doing the healing. I’m just a vessel for the energy. The more I put my ego in by thinking things like “I want to take the pain away”, the less effective the healing process is and the more likely I am going to take on unwanted energy.
2. Relax and Breathe! When You hurt yourself or are watching someone You love in pain, pay attention to your breath. Shallow breathing doesn’t help you relax. It keeps You in panic mode. Notice how much stronger the Reiki starts flowing when You slow your breath and relax.
If You hurt yourself, take a moment to center and inhale and exhale slow deep breaths. If You are Reikiing someone else in pain, remind them to focus on relaxing and breathing. Resisting the pain makes it worse. Talk calmly to the person experiencing the pain.
3. Envision the pain leaving the person so that they are returned to their state of wholeness. I imagine the energy of the pain being grounded into the Earth. If You know Karuna Reiki® try using the Kryia and Rama symbols which really helps ground the pain.
When I started Reikiing my daughter last night I was remembering how bad ear aches hurt when I was a child. I was literally feeling the pain. Well, that didn’t help. Archangel Raphael reminds me often about feeling the peace and wholeness in my body where someone else is hurting. Feeling their pain adds fuel to the fire, so to say.
In my daughter’s case last night, I visualized the pressure in her ear being relieved and saw her ear in its state of health and wellness. A working knowledge of anatomy helps with seeing the body in its state of wholeness. If You lack anatomy training, just do your best. You can just affirm that the body is in its state of wholeness.
4. Trust that the body knows how to heal itself. The Reiki really supports and speeds up the process. When You allow yourself to relax into the knowing that the body has a brilliant self repair ability, it helps the Reiki flow better through You.
5. Imagine your hand is a Reiki magnet pulling the pain out of the body. When You are Reikiing someone else, have them visualize your hand pulling the pain out of their body. This gives them something to focus on and helps speed the process because their mental state has gone from one of pain to relief.
Of course if You are attuned to second degree Reiki, don’t forget CKR, the power symbol. You’ll feel the Reiki get stronger with that symbol especially after you’ve relaxed and stopped worrying.
When using Reiki to relieve pain remember to keep yourself calm, relaxed and breathe. Remind yourself that everything will be okay. Try not to imagine the worst. That just keeps You in a state of resistance of the healing process.
Trust yourself to know what to do. Depending on the situation You may need to seek medical or other professional help. In my daughter’s case, she woke up feeling good this morning.